Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Mango Chutney



I had no idea that I loved mango chutney till I tried it a few years ago.  I have not been a big fan on condiments, but all of that has changed over the last few years.  I used to think of condiments as ketchup, mustard, mayo, steak sauce, etc.  Anyhow, I have found so many new condiments that I can't live with out and chutney with Indian is one of them.  This recipe is very easy with simple ingredients and mangoes can be found in the market more readily.  The hardest part is the waiting.  I did dig in to some of the chutney the same day, but it is better with some time added.

Makes:  about 3-3/4 cups

Ingredients: 

3 large firm but ripe mangoes, peeled and cubes into 1 inch pieces
1/2 c. fresh orange juice
1/3 c. fresh lime juice
1/2 c. cider vinegar
1/2 c. packed brown sugar
1/2 t. cinnamon
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 t. of black, brown, or yellow mustard seeds
1 t. red pepper flakes
3/4 t. salt
1/2 t. coriander seeds
1/2 t. cumin seeds
1/4 c. fennel seeds

Instruction:

Combine all ingredients in a 3 qt. sauce pan and bring to a boil, stirring frequently.  Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring frequently.   If chutney seems too runny, continue to simmer, stirring occasionally to prevent burning, till desired consistency.  Remove from heat and refrigerate over night to let ingredients meld.  Chutney can be kept in the refrigerator in a air tight contain up to 1 month.

Note:  I toasted the dry spices minus the cinnamon, then used a mortar and pestle to crack the seeds before adding to pan, to disperse more flavor.

This recipe is referenced from:  The Gourmet Cookbook edited by Ruth Reichl
(I have made modifications to this recipe, the original can be found in this book)

No comments:

Post a Comment