Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Israeli Couscous

This couscous is sometimes called pearl couscous or maftoul.

Ingredients:

2 T. butter
1/2 c. pine nuts
1/2 c. shallots, finely chopped
1-1/2 c. Israeli couscous
1/2 large cinnamon stick
1 bay leaf
1-3/4 c. chicken broth
1/2 t. salt
1/4 c. parsley, minced
zest of 1/2 a lemon
1/4 c. raisins
black pepper to taste

Instruction:

Toast the pine nuts in a toaster oven or cast iron skillet till golden, then set aside.  In a large sauce pan melt the butter then add shallots and saute till golden.  Add couscous, cinnamon stick, and bay leaf.  Cook till couscous starts to turn golden.  Add chicken broth and salt and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to low and cover, simmering till all liquid is absorbed and couscous is tender.  Remove from heat and stir in parsley, pine nuts, lemon zest and raisins.  Season with black pepper to taste.

Note:  Israeli couscous is not easily found in grocery stores, where I live.  I have found it in our health food store as of recent.  I used to get it in a care package from my mother in law, and she found it at Trader Joe's.  I used Zante currents for raisins in my dish as I like the flavor of them.  Use any variety you like.

No comments:

Post a Comment